Strong Box

Last night I was looking through grandma and poppy's strong box.  It is filled with papers from their lives.  Bank books, insurance papers, pay stubs, marriage licenses, school papers, passports and citizenship papers.  I was so awed as I handled the same papers they did and realized that their lives were full of dreams and plans like ours.  I even found a Valentine that Uncle made for grandma, "Roses are red, violets are blue, I hope you like the present I made for you.  Love, your son, Skipper."  I guess she treasured that.  As I was reading the dates on the papers, I realized that in spite of their dreams and hopes, they had many disappointments and challenges.  The biggest was, of course, Skipper.  He was odd and they tried so hard to have him be mainstreamed with other kids and schools.  They were thrilled when he was talented at TV repairs and hoped it would be a real future for him.  And of course, there was my mother's battle with cancer.  The battle she kept to herself and didn't discuss with anyone but my father.  I can only imagine her fears.  But I can also see that my parents had a wonderful relationship.  A real friendship.  My father adored her and I bet, for the most part, it was due to the challenge they faced together.  It made them strong as a couple.  My mother lost her truest friend the morning he didn't wake up from his sleep.

I hope in your lives, as well as in mine, we can look our challenges square in the face and ask for not just for relief from the burden, but for the strength to bear it, gracefully.  I think I was meant to find that box last night. 




I hope your relationships in your marriages can be built on true friendship, sacrifice and true love.

I love you all.

Comments

Popular Posts