The Joys of the Sears Wish Book

As this time of year rolls around, I can't help but think of my
picture perfect life in the late 60's and early 70's.  I spent countless number of hours drooling over the pages of the Sears Wish Book.  I had the toy section of the book memorized.  My selection of toys were all circled by Thanksgiving and as the days drew closer and closer to Christmas, my selection grew.

I say my life was picture perfect because I grew up in a very traditional middle of the road family.  There was me, the youngest; my brother, who was 2 years older but had autism or something that really wasn't diagnosed back then.  There was also my mother and my father who truly had a great marriage and my mom's mother who lived next door, hence why we called her grandma-next-door.

Not that I was deprived in any way.  I was just a big dreamer.  Between the Wish Book and making cookies with my mom and grandmother, my life was complete.  I still feel glimpses of that life with any trigger around this time of year -- say the words toy, list, grandma, cookie, Christmas and my mind goes rushing back to that time.

I could just stare at the pages of Barbie and her friends, Midge, P.J., Ken, and Skipper for hours and imagine up all sorts of adventure they were having in that Barbie car.  I could stare at the pages of cute baby outfits and imagine how cute I would dress my kids at Christmas.   I loved to stare at the pages of the models in women's clothes and pretended I was as perfect as they were.  I imagined my future home all decorated a la the Sears catalog.  Not only did I imagine, but I would also make lists and pretend I was actually a die-hard Sears customer shopping away.

So imagine my delight when I actually saved enough money and was able to call the Sears customer service lady and order presents for my family.  The very first gift I ordered was a toaster for my parents for about $7.  Why a toaster?  I'm not sure if we needed one or if it just fit my budget back in the 6th grade.  After waiting a week or two, my order arrived at the store in White Plains and my dad took me to pick up the toaster along with other gifts for my brother and grandmother.  The sheer joy of calling the Sears lady and then receiving the gifts to give still make me smile today!

Oh, and did I mention the wrapping -- I actually wanted to grow up to be a department store gift wrapping lady!  I loved my life, thanks to my wonderful parents and the Sears Wish Book!


Comments

Popular Posts