The Happiest Place on Earth








Stacey and Jake were planning a trip to Disneyland in California and invited me to tag along.  I wanted to, but the pressures of life at home made it seem like a impossible dream.  Eventually I booked the trip using our airline points, but then Uncle was diagnosed with cancer.  Uncertain about his treatments, it didn't seem like I was going to be able to go.

As it came closer to the date, Uncle had already had surgery and was recovered and radiation was starting until the end of January.  BUT, snow was predicted for the day I was to fly to California.  At 2 a.m., I was able to rebook my flight for an earlier flight -- and off I went to sunny California!


I landed in Long Beach, California, hours before the Utah crew.  The airport was so tiny and the security check was outside!  Palms trees surrounded the airport and I truly felt that I was transported.  I walked over the rental car place and was directed to my Mustang convertible.  I felt on top of the world.
 Nervous to drive on the LA freeways, but still on top of the world.  Where would I go to wait for the Utah crew.  I thought of the LA temple and started on my journey.  The traffic was a nightmare and the temple was far away.  I was also starving so I redirected my trip to stop at Pink's Hot Dogs on La Brea Ave. in downtown L.A.  Was I crazy???  YUP.  There I sat, at night, alone, in LA eating my yummy hotdog and people watching.  I then decided to drive to Burbank to meet the Utah crew when their plane landed.  Another hour's drive to Burbank!  Did I mention the traffic is crazy in L.A.  Burbank was another cute little airport, directly in the center of the city!!  After a 2 hours drive, we made it to the rental house in Placentia, California and setttled in for the night.  I roomed with the kids.  I had the bottom bunk and was totally happy about that!

Wednesday we were up and ready to get to Disneyland.  It was our day to wear black, red and white and our Minnie Mouse/Mickey Mouse ears! Piper was dressed in a beautiful ballgown that her grandma Linda made for her.  So much excitement.  Here are some of the things we did that first day:
  • Pirates of the Carribean ride
  • Small World ride
  • Indian Jones ride
  • Thunder Mountain ride
  • Rode with Carousel with Piper and Mary Poppins and Burt (Burt bowed to her Majesty)
  • Tea Cups ride
  • Peter Pan's flight ride
  • Matterhorn ride
  • Space Mountain ride
  • Ate Cotton Candy
  • Had dinner in Tomorrow Land and watched the Star Wars show
  • Jungle Cruise ride
  • Pictures with Moana, Cinderella and Minnie Mouse
  • Road Buzz Lightyear Astro Busters with Logan and he beat me
  • Show the Tikki Bird show
  • Walked through Sleeping Beauty Castle
  • Rode the boat through StoryLand
  • Road Autopia
  • Bought Fudge on Main Street


















Comments

  1. I grew up not far from the Burbank Airport and I flew out of Long Beach in January. You were in my hood! It sounds like you had a really fun trip!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts