Cabrol or Sarassat -- Who Am I?????

At 98, my grandmother called my mother and said "Suzy keeps asking me questions about mama (her mother in law) but the truth is....she was never married."

I have spent years searching for clues to this puzzle. 

Tonight I found on the Ellis Island website that no Henri Cabrol or Josephine Cabrol came here from France that is my relative.....they came as Sarassat.  Right there in black and white.  And to top it off, the 1930 US Census lists this little family, Henri, Marguerite and baby Henri (living in Queens -- remember my dad was born in France and came to live in NY until age 5 - then they took him back to educate in France) -- this little cozy family was named Sarasatt.  Henri Sarasatt was my father.................

I am not making this up.  It's wild to me.  But you know me, I want to know how we became Cabrol.  I mean my grandmother knew she was Marguerite Sarasatt, but we buried in a grave marked Cabrol.

Comments

Popular Posts