What a Day for Sailing

I spoke with Jess around lunchtime and she told me to tell dad to call her for a Hudson River sail after work. Of course, dad didn't come home and he didn't have his phone with him. Then Jess texted me that Rhinebeck was expecting storms and they were hurrying to get off the river.

Eventually dad came home. We sat outside on the front steps to watch the storm come in and eat dinner. He told me that after work he went on his catamaran at Whaley Lake and ended up flipping it. A boater came to help him.

Fast forward to this morning. Jess called. Apparently they got stranded in the sailboat in the Hudson in a severe thunderstorm. They put their life jackets on and tried to stay close to shore. Eventually Luciano stopped at some rocks and tied the boat to a tree while they stayed in the cabin. Finally Luciano called 911 and about 3 or 4 coast guard boats came to help with emergency crews on the ground.

She wanted to tell me before I read it in the paper. Thanks, Jess. Glad everyone is safe and sound.

Comments

Popular Posts