Life Stories

I thought from time to time I would post some of the stories from my life and my ancestors life.

This is about the death of my Uncle Sal.  I never met him.  He died over 50 years ago in a tragic fire.  He was a fireman for the City of White Plains and was told there was a 75 year old man on the top floor of the building.  What I do know about him is that he was LOVED.  He was handsome, as you can see from his grandsons, Nicky and Charlie.  He was charismatic and my grandmother adored him.

He was 27 at the time of the tragic accident.  He was married to Aunt Stella, my godmother,
and his son, (big) Nick was 10 months old.  My mother said the wake was held in my grandparents home.  The coffin was taken to the funeral on the back of a firetruck.  Memorials have been errected in his honor and he has never been forgotten.

My mother said they would always roll up the living room rug and jitterbug.  Since most of the family and extended lived so close to each other, he was famous for just hopping in an uncle's car and taking off!  Nicky says that after the fire, his dog, Luke, took off (probably to look for him) and never came home.

To this day, if you say you are a Galasso in Silver Lake or White Plains, people will ask if you were related to Salvatore Galasso.  It's been all these years and he's never been forgotten.

Comments

  1. More people should roll up the living room rug and jitterbug!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts