Hugs from Josephine

 Yesterday I was feeling so sad about Christmas for a number of reasons.


  1. I missed my parents and I wanted the Christmases I had when I was a little girl.  As much as I didn't like Grandma Galasso's Christmas Eve dinner of 7 fishes, I missed it all.  Watching her prepare the food and treats for days, dressing up for dinner, the excitment of everyone gathering around the table, Grandma's white Christmas tree in the living room and the smells of food.  Yes - even the sticky macaroni and achovies that I never ate.  Did you know that Grandma Galasso would cook me a package of Kraft Mac and Cheese instead?  So much conversation took place around the table.  Everyone in our family talks at once and over each other.  I miss it.  I miss Christmas Day and my mom's lasagna and her fancy table settings.  I miss my uncle dressing up Santa.  I miss my cousins.  I miss my Grandma Cabrol and her fancy gifts from Macy's.  
  2. I also miss all of you.  Having you so far at Christmas is a heartbreak for me.  I know that now is your time to make Christmas memories for your precious children.  I hope in years to come that I can be part of those celebrations and share with your families so many happy memories.  
While I was a little weepy to dad, Josephine stopped what she was doing and climbed up on the bed.  Before I knew it, she was hugging me and asking what was wrong.  She told me that she going to get me a Rainbow Christmas!  

Thanks Josephine -- I needed that hug.  I needed someone to listen and to care.  What a beautiful lesson we can learn from a child.  The greatest gift that we can give this Christmas is to just listen.  

Comments

Popular Posts